Main Article Content
Objectives: To determine the frequency of recurrence of Superficial Transitional Cell Carcinoma on firstcheck cystoscopy after TURBT in six months at the Institute of Kidney Diseases Peshawar.
Methodology: All adult male and female patients with superficial transitional cell carcinoma of urinarybladder were evaluated and resection of the tumour was done and tissue sent for histopathology. Threemonths after resection, the patients were followed up by cystoscopy and findings noted. Recurrent growth,if present, was resected and sent for histopathology. All the above information were recorded and enteredinto a structured proforma. The data were analyzed through SPSS version 14 and results were presented inthe form of tables and graphs.
Results: Our study included 41 patients. 33 (80.5%) were males and 8 (19.5%) females. The age rangedfrom 28 to 85 years with a mean of 59.22+11.47 years. The presenting T-stage was pTa in 11 (26.8%)patients and pT1 in 30 (73.2%) patients. The presenting histological grade was G-I in 16 (39%), G-II in10 (24.4%) and G-III in 15 (36.6%) patients. On first check cystoscopy, 28 (68.3%) patients showedrecurrence while the rest, i.e. 13 (31.7%), showed disease free status. Out of 28 cases with recurrence, 2(4.9%) showed pTa and 26 (63.4%) showed pT1. The recurrence of histological G-I, G-II and G-III were 5,8 and 15 respectively.
Conclusion: Recurrence of superficial TCC at first check cystoscopy is high and has a predictive value forfuture recurrence of the disease.
Work published in JPMI is licensed under a
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.