The impact of parental education and socioeconomic status on routine childhood vaccination: An obsevational study

Main Article Content

Samreen Ahmad
Shahzada Bakhtyar Zahid
Anwar Zeb Jan

Abstract

Objective: To assess the vaccination status of children less than 5 years and to determine the factorsassociated with low coverage vaccination status.

Methodology: This was a prospective study conducted at the department of pediatrics, Rehman MedicalInstitute Peshawar from 1st January to 31st July 2012. A total of 300 cases were selected attending outpatientdepartment. The parents and guardians were interviewed with a proforma regarding the vaccinationstatus of all children from 1 month to 5 year of age. World Health Organization, Expanded Programmeof Immunization, vaccine schedule was followed. The parents/guardians were asked for vaccination cardsas confirmation of vaccination and failing to do so, the parents/guardians were thoroughly interviewedincluding direct and indirect questioning.

Results: A total of 240 out of 300 (80%) attending outpatient department were vaccinated while 43 (14.3%)were unvaccinated and remaining 17 (5.7%) were partially vaccinated. Ninety children belonged to highsocio economic status (SES), 25 to low and 185 belonged to middle SES. Seventy six out of 240 (31.6%)vaccinated children were from families of high socio economic status. The study revealed that 15 out of27(55.5%) of the illiterate parent's children were either partially vaccinated or unvaccinated. One hundredand ninety two (64%) were Pakistani and remaining 108(36%) were Afghani.

Conclusion: The overall rate of routine childhood vaccination remains below international benchmark.The rate of vaccination was significantly better in children of parents from educated and higher socioeconomicclass.

Article Details

How to Cite
1.
Ahmad S, Zahid SB, Jan AZ. The impact of parental education and socioeconomic status on routine childhood vaccination: An obsevational study. J Postgrad Med Inst [Internet]. 2013 Jun. 21 [cited 2022 May 23];27(3). Available from: https://www.jpmi.org.pk/index.php/jpmi/article/view/1391
Section
Original Article