CLINICAL PRESENTATION AND OUTCOME OF TRAUMATIC EPIDURAL HEMATOMAS IN POSTERIOR FOSSA: STUDY OF 34 CASES

Main Article Content

Naeem Ul Haq
Farooq Azam
Muhammad Ishfaq
Bakht Zar Khan
Abdul Jalal

Abstract

Objective: To determine the clinical presentation and outcome of traumatic
epidural hematoma in posterior fossa.
Methodology: This observational study was conducted in Department of
Neurosurgery Lady Reading Hospital, Peshawar from 30th November 2009 to
29th November 2014. We collected data for both operated and non-operated
cases of traumatic posterior fossa epidural hematoma, of any gender and age.
Patients were followed for 6 months and all the data was analyzed by SPSS
version 20 and presented in figures.
Results: Total 34 patients were included in the study having age range from
5-60 years with mean age of 32.5±16.24 years. Males were 25(73.52%) and
females were 9(26.47%). The most common cause was motor vehicle accident
found in 15(44%) cases. seventeen (50%) patients were managed conservatively,
while 17(50%) were managed by surgery. Good outcome was found in
28(82.35%) and in remaining 6(17.64%) there was poor outcome.
Conclusion: The frequency of posterior fossa epidural hematoma was more
in males. Motor vehicle accident was the most common cause in this study.
Good outcome was found in a significant number of treated patients.

Article Details

How to Cite
1.
Haq NU, Azam F, Ishfaq M, Khan BZ, Jalal A. CLINICAL PRESENTATION AND OUTCOME OF TRAUMATIC EPIDURAL HEMATOMAS IN POSTERIOR FOSSA: STUDY OF 34 CASES. J Postgrad Med Inst [Internet]. 2016 Jul. 18 [cited 2024 Jul. 14];30(3). Available from: https://www.jpmi.org.pk/index.php/jpmi/article/view/1843
Section
Original Article
Author Biography

Naeem Ul Haq

Registrar, Neurosurgery Unit, LRH

Most read articles by the same author(s)